Friday 25 November 2011

Calcium, a little something we all need*

Hey Hey ladies !!
 First of all I want to say I hope all my American friends had a great thanksgiving, and I hope you all had the chance to realize a few things you are thankful for:) I know for me I am thankful that my family is all still healthy, I am thankful to have a wonderful girlfriend, the roof over my head, the jobs that college allowed me to get, and the fact that each and everyday I am learning to deal with pcos more and more and managing it..not to mention I am thankful for all my Cysters!!

 So for me when I drink a glass of Milk any kind of milk that is I get an instant headache. Unable to drink soy milk, 2%, 1%, or skim. My mom insists that it may be too cold however Ive recently tried warm milk still the same. Funny thing is I love tea, and I am able to get milk in my tea without feeling crappy so maby its the amount I am trying to drink. Anyways as you all know Dairy is not good for us women with pcos other than some types of cheeses. Dairy can mess with our hormones because of the hormones in cows. Most of our milk comes from pregnant cow which are pumped full of steroids which leads to its own hormones and gives us them in our dairy. Dairy milk may increase blood levels of insulin & and promote Ance, and other pcos symptoms. Cows milk contains steroids and hormones that can all only be broken down into one thing for us pcos ladies.. and that is DHT!! Yikes (n) and that is one thing women with pcos do not need more of. So another words all dairy except some chesses actually help stimulate high insulin levels in us. As you can see so far dairy is not good for us. Try and do a low carb diet with no dairy to help relieve symptoms and increase weight loss.

 I know what your thinking! What about calcium right? Well the truth is Yes, us women with pcos still need calcium. We can find it in other sources rather than dairy products. Dark leafy greens like Kale and sea vegetable offer calcium. Here is some none dairy choices for us: Spinach, seasame seeds, collard greens, kelp, broccoli, oranges, almonds, flaxseeds, celery, bok choy, and kale. I dont know about you ladies, but I love celery, broccoli, almonds, and spinach. Also did you know that lemons have calcium in them :) No really they do. The calcium content in lemons is 43.5 milligrams per 100g. That makes drinking my two cups of lemon water a day even more useful. If none of these foods seem good to you, you can always try calcium supplements. Some tips on calcium supplements are do not take more than 500mg at once and try to spread your dose over the day, take with food, take a vitamin C supplement at the same time, if you are taking iron supplements take the iron one 2 hours before or after the calcium for good absorbtion.
 No CALCIUM= HIGH RISK OF OSTEOPOROSIS!!


BENEFITS OF CALCIUM:
  • IMPROVES INSULIN SENSITIVITY
  • HELPS WITH WEIGHT LOSS
  • HELPS INSOMNIA
  • HELPS HEART DISEASE PREVENTION
  • TREATS HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

Things that will lead to excessive calcium loss include:
  • Alcohol
  • white flour
  • junk food
  • caffeine

 So instead of going for milk and cookies, go for some celery with peanut butter on it..and a nice glass of lemon water!! Enjoy ladies

No comments:

Post a Comment