Tuesday 29 November 2011

CRAVINGS..the unwanted

I've been depressed all day, I have not aten since last night and it is now 3pm, I have been crying all day, I can restart my healthy eatting on Monday, Maby I'll have just one...These are all reasons some of us may give into the temptation of a craving.

The truth is you have to train yourself or adjust your body to no longer crave certain things. A craving only lasts a few minutes so if you do not give in right away it should pass. While you are waiting you may want to indulge in a huge glass of water, or a protein filled snack. Protein, and water will also help you get through the craving. Us women with Pcos have severe sugar or carbrohydrate cravings due to imbalances in our insulin and glucose. Due to the imbalances we face spikes in our bloodsugar levels. What that does is sends our brain singnals stating we are still hungry, and can cause excessive eatting and make us have a hard time losing weight.

When I went on my very low or carb free diet for three weeks I had to deal with cravings. My diet consisted of maby 20 to 25 carbs a day for 3 weeks! Not counting the carbs in dark green veggies of course. The first three days I craved candy, and cake, and pop soo bad. When I was hungry I would eat olives or pickles they really helped my craving pass. I also drank tons of water, probally more than eight glasses a day now that I think about it. I avoided pop, anything high in carbs, and candy for three days. When I managed that the cravings really were not as hard anymore. Although I did work in a youth emergency shelter so they would always have high carb meals and these would be my triggers but I would indulge in fish, or chicken, tuna, and eggs this would help me get through the dinners. They would have potatoes, rice, cake,pasta, corn, hambergur buns..If I could get through all of this you can to!! When bread was ate I would eat whatever was being put in the bread and just avoid the bread. I also ate all three meals, and than three healthy snacks within the day.

What you need to do*

Eat at regular intervals. Do not skip meals..Breakfast is key! When you skip a meal your letting your blood sugar levels fall. Levels falling cause cravings. DO NOT SKIP MEALS!!

Avoid your triggers. Such as the Environment. If that is unavoidable pack a nice protein filled snack

Increase your intake on high fibre good foods. Or whole grains these will keep you fuller longer. Rember If you are looking at the carb intake you minus the fibre intake.

Reduce your intake of caffeinated beverages. NO coffee, Tea, or soft drinks unless they are decaffeinated. Like my green Tea :)

Tips:

  • Chose Low GI carbs
  • avoid sugar and salt
  • pickeles and apples suppresss your appeteite
  • cravings only last a few minutes
  • do not give in right away
  • healthy foods keep you sattisfied longer
                         VEGETABLES! LOTS& LOTS! AND LOTS :)

STAY STRONG STAY POSITIVE, AND DROP THAT TWINKIE! WE CAN DO THIS ONE STEP AT A TIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment