Sunday 18 December 2011

Mushrooms..*

When I first saw you I wanted to know what you were! When I saw mommy eatting you I knew I would get to try. I grew up having you on my steak, in batter, stuff, in my yummy soup, on platter trays, plain with butter and salt, on my pizza, and in my pasta. To this day you are still one of my favourite. Mushrooms I want to thank you for always being there in so many different arrangments!
 I love MUSHROOMS! DO YOU? HOW DO YOU EAT YOURS?

DID YOU KNOW?
Mushrooms have been used for thousands of years my the chinese the nativies, and the euroupean. Mushrooms are used for medicine and cooking. They are known are a vegetable or a herb but they are actually fungi. There are 14,000 different types of mushrooms, 3.000 of them are edible, and 700 have known medical properties. So yes ladies this is your warning never go out and pick your own mushrooms because those that are non edible maybe poisonous. 80 to 90 percent of a mushroom is water!

Mushrooms are an excellent source of potassium, which lowers elevated blood pressure, and reduces our risk of stroke or having a heartattack. They contain selenium which is good for our bladder functioning. Also like us when they are in the sunlight they produce the wonderful vitamin D. Mushrooms give us iron, and I dunno about some of you ladies but I was getting my period 3 times a month and taking iron supplements to avoid fatigue, mushrooms may have just been the answer I was looking for. Mushrooms are known to promote immune system health. They help create antiviral and other proteins while the cells are trying to repair and protect us. Like many superfoods mushrooms have antioxidants in them which help fight free radicals in our systems. Free radicals cause oxidation in our bodies ladies, and that is something we dont want.  Mushrooms help get our metabolisms kick started because of all the vitamin B's in this superfood. Vitamin B's are needed to turn our carbs into fuel for us to use which is taken to give us energy. The selenium in mushrooms protects us women from cancer of the bladder.

How do you eat them?
Stuffed
Fried
in pasta, or stirfry
with eggs
on pizza
in stew or soup
raw with dip
battered
on sandwiches
on steak with onions
in salad

Mushrooms can be aten with any meal of the day in a variety of ways, its your choice...which way would you like?

Nutrients & Minerals***
Calcium
Iron
Copper
Zinc
Selenium
Magnesium
Potassium
Vitamin B1
VITAMIN B2
VITAMIN B6
Vitamin D
Folate
Vitamin C
Niacin

Nutrional Facts
per 1 cup mushroom slices
Calories - 44
Fat- 1g
Carbs- 8g
Dietary Fibre- 3g
Sugar- 3g
Protein- 3g
Vitamin D- 38.2 IU
Calcium 9.4MG
Iron- 2.7 Mg

So since mushrooms have always been a favourite of mine.. its your turn to get down with this yummy superfood. Its the holidays I know we should not be eatting battered food but Im going to indulge in a few battered mushrooms with the family they are amazing. Just remember ladies if you are indulging this holiday like me Portion control is needed. :)
Your friend Court.


No comments:

Post a Comment