Friday 9 December 2011

Support Groups*

I have been trying to have a baby nothing will work , my husband wants to have a child I can't, I look more likea beast with this hair growth than a woman, Im fat and I am doomed, I workout I eat alright I just can not lose weight, pimple say they can connect the dots on this face, I have a treasure chest hairlin..Dont men have that?, I am going to be bald at 23!, I am unable to go into a store on my own, I can not deal with all this stress!!

What do you do if this is happening to you? You get support! That is why SUPPORT GROUPS are very important to us women with PCOS. Support groups for us could be counselling, bestfriends, fellow cysters, husbands, girlfriends, actual groups you meet with weekly, or even our doctors.

Doctors that help with PCOS: Endocriniologists(hair, diet), Dermatologists(acne darkspots skin), Regular family doctors(Metformin, and Cysts), Gynecologist( pregnancy, and periods), Dietians(healthy eatting weight lose) .They all help us in one way our another..and due to some of us having anxiety and being stressed out or dealing with depression we may want to speak with a counsellor or a psychologist. Nothing is wrong with getting help from professionals!

I myself have of course a family doctor he sends me for blood work monitoring my glucose, and informing me of my risk of dieabetes also prescribes me with anxiety medication,and Metformin. My dermatologist started me on Spirolactone for hair loss and prescribed me mindixional however I did not like that. My gynecologist makes sure I am getting my periods and informs me of all the risks with PCOS. She gives me birth control that stabilizes periods usually ones high in estrogen. Not to mention performs annual paps. My enocriniologist which is my fav support doctors ups my doses when other doctors say they can not. She specializes in hormones, and diaebetes. She is actually the only one that ever examines my hair aswell for regrowth. With her medications and support she makes sure my potassium and sodium levels are fine through blood work.

Due to the fact many friends and family member do not have PCOS they do not understand the severity of this syndrome. Talking to one of the people that will not understand is like talking to wall, or getting response like you are crazy, you dont even have facial hair ..WHERE is it? They will say. Talking to people that do not understand may stress us out more, or even make us depressed so it is up to us to speak with the right people.

Having correct support groups is extremely important for us in trying to recover or deal/managed our PCOS. Support groups help with Anxiety,Depression, Obessive Compulsive disorder, BiPolar, Moodiness,Loneleniss, and stress. When I have no1 to talk to regarding my PCOS I feel isolated and alone which brings on depression. Yes, even though I write these blogs ladies trust me I still myself have depressing days. Since I have started my Pcos Facebook I have met about 3 ladies on there that I confide with and just vent to it really helps because yes I still need support aswell. Talking to a fellow cyster allows you to vent, explain, share ideas, and give eachother hope it really does feel great.

Support Groups help keep us emotional stable, and with all the different amounts of hormones us women with pcos have going on they are important. Someday we may want to cry,throw things,binge eat,sleep all day, isolate ourselves but the truth is if you get the support you need these days will soon start to reduce more and more. Dealing with pcos means balancing everything out and have over all well being. In order to do that you need sleep, healthy nutrion, excercise, and a good mindset support groups can help with all four of those aspects.

I DARE YOU, EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU TO:
Pick a fellow cyster on your FB today and ask her if you can talk. She will more than likely say yes..and than just vent to her.. than let her vent to you. Make eachother know that you are always willing to talk to one another, and that right there ladies is step one of getting support.

My biggest problem was not realizing when I needed support, and always turning to the wrong people that just brought me down further. In college I needed someone to talk to and should of taken the chance for a free counsellor but I told myself no they will just think I am crazy aswell I was ashamed, and embarrassed I isolated myself. It was not until I met my girlfriend who has been through couselling for her own lose that told me it really does help. Since than I know my doctors appoinments are not long but I chose to vent to them and they kind of counsel me. When I do go back to university I will definetly be taking advantage of the counselling service.

If you become stress or depressed because you are not getting support it will..

Make it harder to lose weight...
Affect your hormone balances....
Make it so you have no energy.....
Make it so you feel like giving up......
Allow you to have too many days of just crying....
Cause problems with your period......
Also make it hard to get pregnant.....

Is any of that what you want? NO so go out and get some support.

Husbands,Girlfriends,Boyfriends..you can tell when they put interest into you syndrome and try and help you as best they can which is great support. They may not be dealing with what we are however they will stand by you and let you vent. My girlfriend hears about my hair issues daily and she is right there for me to vent to and confide in. The thing is you have to open up. Yes, it may be hard to open up but do the right thing do not keep it all bottled up talk to someone who is special to you. Worst case scenario they think your crazy and you realize you choose the wrong person to talk to...It happens ohwell try again.

PCOS has numerous different facebook  groups,pages that you can get support, also my blog is here for support, I am here for support, there are different forums online that you can get support,there is over the phone counselling that really helps. Resources are here for us ladies its just up to us when we use them.

Ladies getting support is not a bad thing! For us it really helps..So do not be afraid be a big girl, and open the next door to your coping with PCOS...you can do it. Get support!!!

Court.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right on with this post - support is crucial. The worst thing someone who is feeling depressed can do is isolate themselves, even though that is exactly what they may feel like doing.

    I take time to randomly chat with Cysters all the time if I am on Facebook...there is something about just chatting with someone who understand exactly what you are going through that really empowering.

    Holly Amarandei, MS, CPC, CHHC
    Certified Holistic Health Coach
    Yummy Life Wellness
    http://www.yummylifewellness.com
    http://pcosexy.com
    http://transformyourmood.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Holly, I like your site and what you comment on aswell all in all the more info with pcos I can have is better :) your friend court

    ReplyDelete